Dr Neil Chakraborti of Leicester University’s Department of Criminology outlines the concept of hate crime in terms of its definition, history, typology and quantification.
The video raises methodological questions relating to the measurement of hate crimes as well as the reliability and validity of different sources of data. The video ends with a range of questions designed to stimulate debate around this particular form of crime and deviance.
Key concepts covered in this video:
• Stigmatisation and Marginalisation
• Cycle of victimisation
• Unreported and recorded crime
• Official crime statistics (police recorded crime)
• British Crime Survey (victim studies)
• Reliability and validity
• Media stereotyping
• Transgressive categories (ethnicity and sexuality)